Shopping Bag  0
$0
There are no items in your shopping bag.
Menu

Surviving the Sauna of Summer

It’s hot, it’s humid, it’s summer. The heat waves are rolling through your house and you’re itching to turn down the thermostat. Yet, you know you’re going to regret it as soon as your air conditioning bill arrives.

So, how do you survive the sauna of summer without making your air conditioning bill sky-rocket? To help you out, here are 5 tips from Cozy Earth on how to stay cool this summer without relying on your air conditioning.

Turn Off Your Lights

The first tip to surviving the sauna of summer is to turn off your lights. Every light bulb in your house emits heat in addition to light, which make your home significantly warmer throughout the day. In fact, only 5% of the energy used to power an incandescent light bulb generates visible light. The other 95% of energy is given off as heat. As a result, turning off the lights significantly reduces the amount of heat trapped inside, which goes a long way in keeping your house cool.

Open Your Windows

The next tip on our list is to open your windows. You already have the curtains open to let in the beautiful natural light of summer; you might as well take the next step and let in that nice summer breeze.

In particular, try to open your windows first thing in the morning while the air is still cool outside. By inviting the cool night air in and allowing the heat trapped in your home to escape, you will start the day with a much cooler house, giving you a head start in your race against the sun. If you can create a cross breeze by having multiple windows, then you’re in even better shape.

If you want to cool your house off even more, place a bowl of cold water in front of your windows. As the summer air weaves its way into your home, it will run across the surface of the water and pick up some of the moisture, making it even cooler.

Buy Bamboo Sheets

So far, we’ve discussed how to fight the heat during the day, but what about at night? How do you keep from overheating and waking up drenched in sweat? The answer is to buy bamboo sheets.

Bamboo sheets are incredible because they work with your body’s natural temperature-regulating processes to keep you at the perfect temperature all night long. Organic sheets made from bamboo wick any excess heat and moisture away from you, allowing your sweat to properly evaporate and cool you down as your body intended. Normal bedding, on the other hand, traps your heat and sweat under the covers with you, reflecting the heat back to you and creating a greenhouse effect until the heat become unbearable.

To discover more about how bamboo keeps you cool, read The Best Bedding for Summer.

Use Your Fridge More

When you were a kid, did you ever open the freezer door and just let the stark chill wash over you, only to have your mom start yelling at you to close the fridge? Well, now that you’re an adult, you can still enjoy that rejuvenating chill. No, I’m not suggesting that you stand in front of your fridge all day. Instead, you can put a squirt bottle full of water or a bottle of lotion in your fridge.

When you wake up in the morning or when you are just burning up, you can grab your bottle of water and give yourself a quick spritz to cool down. If you have a bottle of lotion in the fridge, imagine how cool and refreshing it will be to rub that chilled moisturizer all over your skin. As an added bonus, your skin will stay hydrated because you’re remembering to take care of it during the dry, blistering summer months.

Drink Plenty of Water

The final tip on our list is to drink plenty of water. While this is kind of an obvious suggestion, it’s one that people forget about a lot. In fact, two-thirds of Americans don’t drink enough water. If you don’t drink enough water, you might experience symptoms including fatigue, headaches, and dry skin in addition to being unbearably hot.

In contrast, you won’t believe how much better you feel when you’re properly hydrated and your body is able to cool itself naturally. You’ll also have more energy, better concentration, and clearer skin. So, carry that water bottle with you everywhere and stay hydrated!

What are some tricks you’ve learned to survive the summer without your air conditioning? Let us know in the comments below!